January 11, 2012

After 5 years of searching, I finally found it!

thrift jan 5

So here’s the skinny on thrifty adventure #2 (also, I will probably stop numbering them after this because it could get embarrassing in a few months when we’re on thrifty adventure #156, and it’s only March)!  I went to Goodwill, St Vinnys, and 2 other local haunts. 

Maggie scored big this trip with a bunch of doll stuff – she is the proud mama of my Cabbage Patch dolls – Caren Lotti, Lorelei Donna, and Lara Cleo.  Sadly, I did not have to find their “birth certificates” to tell you that. She also got a dress and skirt from Children’s Place, and a brown corduroy jumper from the Gap.

Ezra got a sweater from Gymboree (to be packed away for next year).

I got some back-to-school items to be used in the near future as this whole maternity leave deal comes to a close.  I also got a magazine, and that black picture frame hiding in the back is part of the aforementioned photo install in the bedroom.

The piece-de-resistance (I am saying that a French accent) is that black embroidered thing in the back.  A floor-length, latin-inspired dress.  This is not for every day wear, mind you.  I have a little obsession with Frida Kahlo.  I have been to all her houses in Mexico City along with several museums that house her paintings.  I have traveled to Chicago and Minneapolis to see expositions of her work, I even have 3 graduate credits in Frida Kahlo art.   And, yes, I know she was kooky and crass and some might argue a little ‘off’.  But she was a pioneer.  She was a feminist before feminism.  She was a strong-willed, independent woman.  I just find her completely fascinating.  And so, for the past 5 years or so, I’ve wanted to be her for Halloween, and/or two other times during the year that we study her work comes in class.  I bought long wigs several years ago.  I’ve got some jewelry, but I never had the dress.  And now, well, look out come October!

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know you had the Frida obsession. I have a friend who has a Frida bathroom. And I think she was Frida for Halloween one year, too.

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Comments? Concerns?