April 28, 2009

THE GROTTO

After the SPAM Museum, we departed lovely I-90 and headed south into Iowa. We passed through Clear Lake [read: last show of Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens & the Big Bopper]. You might wonder why we didn't stop - well, sources close to me (Kole) say that the Surf Ballroom isn't much different from the Riverside Ballroom in Green Bay - not much to look at. And, since the Riverside Ballroom was the 2nd to last show they did, and we've been there several times, a stop in Clear Lake seemed unnecessary.

We wove our way down to West Bend, Iowa, home of...Grotto of the RedemptionA collection of rock adorned towers and homages to the higher being. It was a sight. I really can't get over people's dedication to this type of project. It reminded me a lot of the Concrete Park in Phillips, WI.
The rocks were really beautiful, actually.


I know you're jealous that you didn't get to come along, and you're wondering where we're headed next. Well, you can plan your own tour d'roadside attractions on the Roadside America website.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Concerns?